We would like to get another Corgi, but we think Rosie would have serious jealousy issues. She plays well with other dogs at puppy school and gets along well with all the dogs in her obedience class, but I don't think she would let us bring another Corgi home. We had two Corgi's before we lost them in a fire and they were the best of friends, but to be honest we have really spoiled Rosie. I just don't know if we should get another. I think it would be good for Rosie if she would accept a playmate and we really want to add to our family. We had two little girls before, but I was thinking that maybe she would accept a little boy playmate over a little sister. Rosie is fifteen months old.

Views: 96

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

We had the same concern with Sage, who is almost 4. We wanted to get a corgi puppy before Sage got too old and wouldn't tolerate a fiesty little playmate. We've had 4 1/2 month old Emmy for a month now, and things seem to be going well. Sage is the apple of our eye, very spoiled, and Daddy's favorite, so we had some concerns about her feeling left out. What we've been doing is making sure that we give Sage LOTS of attention and still make her feel loved and special. She still barks of jealousy when I pet Emmy, but I always make sure to try and include Sage. The lady at the place we got Emmy said that when the dogs are young, they don't really recognize sex, so it might not matter if you get a boy or girl. We got a girl because they are easier to house break (and a bad experience with a former roomate's male pug). From my experience, I would say just make sure you make it clear that Rosie is still your baby girl and give her lots and lots of love. But when you bring the baby home, just let them check each other out and Rosie will let the baby know who is the leader of the pack, and pretty soon they will be best buddies. Best of luck! Let us know how it turns out.
I think you would do well to choose a male if you add to your family. It is easy to spoil one and make them the center of the universe. Not quite as easy with two as the dynamics changes quite a bit. As young as she is and as much as she has the opportunity to be with other dogs I think you would probably be fine as long as you keep the rules fair for both. You would also do well to find a breeder that would be willing to let you visit with Rosie and agree to take the pup back should you find Rosie will not tolerate him.
A couple of suggestions from someone with 5 corgis and 2 catahoulas: First, meet the new corgi on your own and establish a good rapport. Then bring Rosie with you and gently introduce them in a neutral place. You want to be sure their "personalities" don't clash. Once they're introduced on neutral ground and get along, bring them both home together. That's how we introduce all of our dogs. That way the establish an initial pack, inviting the new dog in, and none of the dogs feel their personal den is compromised or threatened.
Adding a second dog is a big decision. Most female corgis accept a male "sibling" better than a female. It is quite an experience to go from one to two. Remember to have your breeder match your new dog's personality to Rosie's.

Once you get the second dog, make sure you reassure Rosie that she is still important. When we added Trunks, we had "nap time" for him. We put him in his crate for an hour or so and focused our attention on Pandora. This idea was given to us by Trunks's breeder. It really did help to cement our relationships.

One thing to remember is that your second dog will be a "dog's dog." This is true in our household. Trunks is lost without having Pandora around for socialization. He plays better with her. I'm not saying that he isn't socialized with us; I just really think he prefers to spend time with her.

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service