Is there a reason (well besides breeding of course) that I've seen so many different fur types in corgis?

I've seen extremely short haired... to extremely long haired, almost gold retriever long haired.. you know.. the real wavy you could comb hair?

Was just wondering why that is. Is it winter fur vs. summer fur? Age? etc?

Views: 11465

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I have heard rumors that corgis up north tend to have lush coats, many show champs are from up north. So i guess cold weather affects the coat. When you talk about long haired corgis, we call them fluffies, Bill Gotthelf our member got a couple.
ahhhh so it is the weather affect, thats pretty cool... maybe roxi will get it because we live in northern VT. (stock up on food around X-mas time cuz sometimes you really get snowed in....) Thanks for the answer :)
Primarily the reason is genetics. There are some corgis that are born with a "fluffy" coat. The texture and length is different. This is not an acceptable coat in the standard so these dogs are sold as pets. They are darling though often require more grooming. The texture and length can vary greatly with the fluffy coats as well.
yea i figured it was that too.. was just wondering how they appeared since the original breed was short haired hehe :) thanks!
Very interesting. . .thanx for the info. . .I think my Sid might be a Fluffy, though I sometimes wondered cause his coat isn't real long, but it's definitely longer than my two little girls. . .He almost has bunny fur it's so soft. . . .Here's his picture. . .
Attachments:
No, Sid is not a fluffy but does have a longer coat. Fluffys have more of a silky type coat similar to a sheltie. Visit the Pembroke Welsh Corgi Club of America. There are some very nice pictures of fluffs on there.
Well I'll be gobsmacked :):) I've had Corgi's all my life and thought that Fluffs (when I rarely saw them) were actually a Corgi mix dog - not purebred. Thanks you so much for the information - very interesting and the pictures are adorable. :)
My Pumpkin sheds so much you could knit a whole new dog in about 2 weeks. Since she's Blue Merle I can't wear black or white!!
Thank you Sam. . .you are very helpful and very informative. . . .
Attachments:
Many dogs in the colder climates do have a more full coat. In FL it is is frequent that dogs do not sport as much of a coat due to the length of warm weather. A proper coat she be of medium length and a dense undercoat. The variation is huge. Breeding choices make a difference as well. Folks that compete in the conformation ring often love the very "plush" type coat and select dogs that are likely to produce it.
The fluff coat is a totally different coat. Many normal coated dogs are "fluff factored" meaning they carry the gene to produce a fluff coat. When two fluff factored dogs are bred fluffy offspring are likely.
Some breeders choose to do a genetic testing to see if their dogs carry the fluff gene. This helps them make breeding choices.
Genetics is the main variable. But all corgis blow their coat (or shed) twice a year, in which they release their old undercoat and steadily grow a new one. This can leave them looking shorthaired for some months until winter or spring when it grows a tad longer. Thats why they always need brushed, they are olympic shedders and constantly shed. Fluffies always have long hair. And weather does play a small part.
Even 'normal" coated corgi's have a great variation in coat. However in the conformation ring there are standards that judges look for. A fluff is considered a serious coat fault and prevents them from competing in conformation but not agility or any of the other trials. Some breeders test for the fluffy gene in their breed dogs as they don't want any fluffy offspring. The majority of breeders ( that I know) don't care if the mating results in a fluff or two as they are breeding the male and female for their best characteristics. As an example my Brandy (a red and white fluff) has a brother Rowdy (out of Triple H Kennels) that is the highest pointed PWC in the country this year. He won at Westminster in Best of Breed. If you look at him and Brandy side by side other than the long hair there body styles are identical.
Even amoung fluffies the fur types are very different. My Tess has very fine soft hair, a extremely thick undercoat and feels like a cotton ball. Zack has long coarser hair with a small amount of undercoat. Brandy has long, coarse ( not as coarse as Zack) hair on her back and finer, softer hair everywhere else and a pretty thick undercoat. Fluffies don't blow their coat like regular coated corgi's but they do shed evenly all year long. There is a little more maintenance in a fluffy as they seem to get clumps of hair behind their ears and front legs if you don't keep them brushed out. Good breeder's require a spay/nueter contract with all fluff's. Like a breeder once told me Fluff's have a little more hair, a little more heart and a little more love.

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service