what age did you spay/ neuter you pup? and if you didnt neuter how did you keep him from mounting your other dogs and items

Views: 235

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I have a girl, so no mounting, but we spayed her at about 6 months. The vet advised us on that.
The general concensus is to spay/neuter at six months of age. If one is going to pursue a competitive agility career some wish to wait until the dog is 14 to 18 months or when the growth plates are totally closed. Some believe that taking away the natural growth hormones produces a longer bone. The jury is out regarding proof of this statement.
Regarding mounting this behavior can be exhibited by either males or females. This is not a sexual display but more of a dominant display. This behavior should be discouraged and corrected when displayed. When exhibited to another dog this can be cause for a not so nice reply from the dog. Sounds like this would be a good time to find an obedience class in your area which will be a good outlet for your pups energy needs as well and teaching him some commands that will make him a better companion.
My Corgis are both intact, it is a lot of work during the heat cycle and I don't recommend it. It is a lot of work, the female will bleed twice a year and during those 3 weeks your male dogs will go COMPLETELY nuts! Yes it is true that you can buy "diapers" to prevent from successful mounting, but trust me, you won't get any sleep during those days. Also an intact male tend to have more "marking" behavior, it is something that you will want to consider.

Feel free to msg me if you have more questions :)
Keep in mind too that often times the "diapers" will not prevent a successful mating. Living with "entire" dogs presents much more vigilence on the part of the owner in so many ways. Dogs have amazing ways of getting together when the hormones are in full bloom. Always makes good sense to spay before the first season (in corgis usually 9 to 14 months) to lessen the chances of mammary tumors later in life as well as accidental breedings. Males usually have a much more mellow demeanor if neutered at six months and as Sam says are not as likely to feel the need to mark.
Thanks Sam for pointing out the diapers being not effective. It is very true and our corgis are quite smart to find other ways to get around the barrier :)

For most corgi owners, I would say spay & neuter and you'll have less things to worry about and can fully enjoy dog ownership.
I got Blaze fixed at 6 mos of age. . .never had a mounting issue. . .
Miles was neutered no more than half a year ago at the age of 3. They were going to breed him but then my boyfriend moved to California and the apartment required that he be neutered. Fortunately Miles never had the humping problem. He had never mounted anyone or anything for that matter haha. The only problem was "wet dreams" and needing to change his bedding.

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service