I have picked out my puppy who is 4 weeks old right now. The breeder told me this is the mothers 3rd litter and the pups are usually weaned by 6 weeks and idependent. He said that I would be able to take it home then if she was ready but I'm not so sure. I'm thinking it's better for her socially and emotionally if she stays until 8 weeks. What do you think? I would love to take her home as I can't wait to finally have her but I will do what's best for her. Thanks ahead!

Views: 7825

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

A lot of breeders keep their puppies until 10-12 weeks with the feeling that Corgis mature more slowly than other breeds and can use the extra time with the litermates for socialization and bite inhibition. 8 weeks also seems fairly common. 6 weeks seems too young.
I have had the pleasure of picking up puppies all my life and the waiting time has always been the same - 8 weeks. Earlier and they miss out on some of their mother's training, later and it's harder to get a full bond. I vote for 8 weeks - those last two weeks are critical.
My breeder generally says 9 weeks because of vaccination and worming schedules--we brought Brodie home just a few days shy of 9 weeks. I took My first Corgi home at six weeks. We did great, but I would vote for eight weeks. I think the AKC recommendation is 8 weeks as a minimum as well. If the breeder is not going to keep the puppy with the mother for those last two weeks it would be a different story. If she is going to separate them, I'm not sure that it would be much different than having the baby home with you. Congratulations on the new addition to yiour family!
Thank you to all that have commented. I am definitely going to wait. That was my first thought and I should trust it. The more time passes, the more I realize that he, perhaps, isn't the best breeder. He's a younger guy and I'm thinking maybe inexperienced, although he says its her third litter. Both parents were there and they were gorgeous and sweet and all the puppies were fat and healthy. I probably rushed into getting this puppy because I was so happy she was fairly close to home (haven't found any closer than 4 hours in almost a year!) I did find another little girl thats 11 weeks old, raised on miniature horse farm but the breeder offered $50 off if I'd get her fixed so I opted for the newborn. I think she'll be a perfect addition to our family and I think she'll be just perfect with the extra two weeks of "mommy time". Although, what if he gets rid of the other puppies and its left alone with mom and dad? I wonder how much attention she will even give the puppy....
First, thanks for being such a responsible corgi owner! It's great you want to do what's best for your new little addition instead of just jumping ahead regardless. Good for you!

In my experience, it is better to get your puppy between 10-12 weeks of age. A couple of factors should be considered. First, they've had an opportunity to really socialize within the litter. During those formative weeks between 4-10, they learn all sorts of things, including bite inhibition. I see puppies in class who have not had that experience and have to be taught (sometimes with great effort) not to bite. Second, they have at least their 2nd set of shots, if not their 3rd (at 12 wks). And importantly, they've had more socialization with people and animals, as well as other things, if the breeder is a quality breeder who raises the puppies under foot and not locked up in kennels.

Being patient and waiting just a few more weeks will give you a great start with your new baby. Good luck!
I figure that I've waited so long for my baby that I want her to be the best possible dog she can be. I come from a family of hunting dogs and I already have two dogs from animal shelters and the appeal of buying a corgi puppy (besides their gorgeous looks and personalities) was that I was raising this dog from the beginning. I know the health history, I know what she's being exposed to. I will just keep busy the next 4 weeks preparing for her arrival and daydreaming of our future together....
Good luck Dawn. I know you are making the right decision. The wait is always hard, but the reward will be well worth it!
It's definitely hard to wait those extra weeks, but from all that I've read, it's completely worth the wait. I mean, if you take the puppy away from its mother and litter mates before it learns certain things, that means you have to teach those things instead. You're totally right in waiting, and in asking of course!
My first corgi was 8 weks old and he has a great secure personality. I got a female-Dixie bell AKA stinker bell at 6-7 weeks and she is so nervous and frantic-almost neurotic-she plays well at times with my 3rd corgi who I got at 4.5 vmonths-the easiest going of all but she sometimes will snap and go nuts for no apparent reason. Dixie whines, growls, talks and in general is just not a peaceful soul. I could almost tell from the get go that she may have stayed at least another two weeks with her mom. For example-the first time I put a collar on her she screamed forever and bucked around like a bucking bronco-she then laid flat on her belly in the middle of a pea pad and would not budge-and she was only 10 weeks old. We love her nonetheless but she is definately not as calm as my other dogs. I would have left her a little longer if I had it to do over again. By the way-her parents are the same parents as my first corgi-he had such a great disposition I wanted another from the same parents-they are a year and a half apart.
I am glad to read that you could wait. Because one should never bring home a puppy before it has reached the age of at least 8 weeks. They need their mother and social training with their sisters and brothers.

In Sweden breeders are not allowed to let buyers bring home puppies before they are 8 weeks.

Personally I think that a puppy ought to stay with its breeder until it is 10 weeks old. Especially if the buyer is not an experienced dog owner.

Puppies can very well adapt to a new home when they are 10-12 weeks old. If the breeder takes time to socialize them - and a good breeder should do that.

If I remember correctly, we got our first Cardigan Frodo when he was 8 weeks old. (We were experienced dog owners). Saga, Tina, Holly and Tiger were all 10-12 weeks old when we got them.

They are - all of them - a happy, well socialized bunch!

Susan
Fromax kennel in Sweden
http://www.fromax.se/english.html
Thanks for the reply and I love the name Frodo--how cool!!
I love the name Frodo too. And it is his real name (Verdidas Frodo) - given to him by the breeder (at my wish).

Our red brindle boy Frodo is a "cool" happy-go-lucky Cardigan (a not so common kind). He is full of joy and loves all people and animals. And he loves to play football.

Above: Frodo (to the right) is waiting for the referee's whistle together with his girl-friend Saga (a few years ago).

Our kennel - Fromax - is named after Frodo and our German shepherd Maxen (Frodos adopted father).

Above: Frodo 8 weeks old and his "father" Maxen.
Susan
http://www.fromax.se/english.html

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service