Abby is 7 months as of yesterday and got her first heat cycle today. i dont think she nor trevor no what is going on. Trevor surprisingly hasnt tried anything yet but they wont be allowed to be together unsuprivised until this is over. I have a couple of questions tho...how long does an average corgi heat cycle last and howmany do they have a year? i am going to get her spayed before he second one i was just woundering.

Views: 646

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

it can last from 3-5 weeks. some corgis are regular and have their cycles every six months, so twice a year or more. It's a good thing that you get her spayed. Don't let them even get a chance, 7 months is too young and if they're figure it out, you won't be able to separate them physically (REALLY).
Usually the first week of the cycle the males show an increased interest but do not attempt to breed. Dont let this give you a false sense of safety though. As the cycle progresses her hormones will also change which will drive him crazy. She too will seek him out as her cycle becomes "ripe".
Seven months is younger then many corgis come in season. While she may be maturing reproductively at this age she is far from mature both mentally and physically. Hopefully you pay special attention to their supervision as breeding at this young age could prove disasterous.
Females come in to season 2 to 4 times yearly depending on their cycle. Do remember that there is an increased risk to mammary tumors later in life when they are intact. Pyometra is also a possibility and can be lethal. Heres hoping you spay her soon which will make ownership much easier.

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service