First time poster here, so hopefully this is the correct section to be posting this.

I am currently looking to purchase a Corgi puppy and contacted my regional Pembroke Welsh Corgi Club (Sunshine PWCC) for breeder referrals. They sent me a list of five individuals from all over the state of FL who had or are expecting a litter within the past or next few weeks.

I wanted to make sure I am doing this correctly, as this is my first time going through a breeder for a dog. I came up with a list of 24 questions to ask the breeder about the puppy, family history, and the breeder themselves. I was just curious to see if I had a glaring mistakes or was missing any vital questions to ask the breeder before I choose a puppy.

1. How old is the sire and dam?
2. How many litters has the dam had?
3. Are the puppies show or pet quality?
4. Are the puppies/parents AKC registered?
5. Are you registered to the National or Regional corgi club?
6. What are the congenital defects in this breed?
7. What are the temperament of the parents, cousins, siblings, and grandparents?
8. Have any of the puppies relatives had any health issues or passed away prematurely?
9. In this puppy's pedigree, what is the incidence of deafness, allergies, infections, thyroid dysfunction, seizures, hip dysplasia, etc.?
10. Why did you choose this dam to breed?
11. How many Corgi’s do you have?
12. How long have you been breeding?
13. How old before they are allowed to be taken home?
14. Have the puppies/parents been tested for PRA, CERFed, O.F.A, and vWD?
15. Can I see the documentation stating so?
16. Are the puppies up to date on their shots and how many times have they been to the vet or plan on going to the vet?
17. Where were these puppies raised? How have you socialized them?
18. Do both parents have the correct dentition?
19. Do you require the puppy to be neutered?
20. What sort of guarantee do you have?
21. Do you offer Health/Temperament guarantees with your puppies?
22. Will you assist me if I cannot keep the dog?
23. What are the most important things you strive for in your breeding program?
24. Contract/Deposit issues

Thanks for any help you can provide!

-Junior

Views: 2346

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Wow sounds like you have everything down to the T, i'm sure others will give you more suggestions. But i seriously didn't ask that many questions from my breeder, and now i kinda of wish I had. I just found out that someone in my puppy social acutaly got two dogs from the same breeder at different times. To me it sounds like she is breeding all the time. And i hope its not the same Dame.

YOu seem like on the right track!
Congrats on getting ready to get your puppy! I'm in the same boat as you, just starting to research the breeders in the area and all that fun stuff before I pick a litter and a pup :) Looks like you've got a good list going, I'll just add a few more things from my list that I didn't see in yours.

Make sure to ask about hips, eyes, and back problems specifically, as those are the most common genetic defects for corgis.
Ask about shedding and grooming requirements - if the breeder says corgis don't shed, run :)
Will the puppies get any flea/tick preventative while in breeder's care, how much?
What does the breeder feed corgi adults, what about puppies?
Does the health guarantee include passing OFA at 2 years of age?
What are the goals of this particular litter? Were they bred for temperament, conformation, pet, working, herding drive, etc.?
Will the puppies receive any training, what kind?
Do the parents take any joint or other kind of supplements, why?
Are there any champions in the pedigree?
What kind of socialization will the puppies receive, will they be exposed to other dogs, cats, children, loud noises, etc.?
How do the parents react to other dogs, cats, kids, strangers, change of environment, etc.?
Are there special requirements from the buyer, for example not to allow the puppy on stairs until a certain age?
Were there any previous puppies whose ears did not stand up, did many puppies require taping?
Does the breeder dock the tails (if you want a dog with a tail, will the breeder be willing to do an un-docked litter)?

Can you tell I have a very long list? I hope these help and give you a few more ideas. I think it's best to ask most of these questions as part of a conversation when you meet with the breeder in person, especially since a lot of questions are related (health, parent history, temperament). I'll be watching this thread to add to my list as well. Best of luck in your search! :)
That's a great list! Glad you asked sunshine PWCC for info, they are a great bunch :) We have quite a few members in Florida, a few of them are looking just like you. I think the most important thing is go there and visit, I don't think a busy breeder could really go over the 24 questions over the phone. It will be helpful if you meet with some of the members near your area and ask about their experience.
yay! congrats! =) how about ask them if they plan to start the puppies on potty pad or outside potty training before they go home with you. if they are willing or already do this, that would help you a lot once you get them home! and ask them what food they'll be having the puppy on and why they chose that. do some research, theres even a forum out there where everyone posted what particular food they feed their corgi. the breeder will usually give you a sample pack so you can transition it to your preferred food by mixing hte new and old food gradually. Also see if there are older corgis on site (over 6yo)- it tells you teh breeder really cares for the breed and has them as pets, and just not breeding and getting rid of the older ones. Also, check to see the general area where the puppies will be raised before you take them home (ask them to show you) - you can see if this is clean and meets your standards. Also ask if the kennel has ever contracted any diseases, etc, (which is common) - like fleas, coccidia, etc. Ooohhhh.. and maybe you can ask if their corgis eat their own poo (a lot of dogs like poo of any kind as treats - do they pick up regularly? - kinda relates to teh potty training question - you don't want them raised in a big pit where they can just pee/poo anywhere and its left out to eat up). ok well good luck! =P
Thanks for the replies so far. The only issue I truly have is that the majority of the kennels are 4-8 hours away (my luck) so I don't know how feasible it is going to be for me to visit them all just to ask these questions.

I was kind of hoping to do it over the phone or through e-mail and then pick out 2 or 3 to visit to make sure everything is in order. Is it really going to be a problem if I ask these questions over the phone or through e-mail? I plan on visiting the kennel I choose based on these conversations at least once before I pick up the little guy, but driving 800-1200 miles every weekend for a month is pretty rough.
I'm not sure who are the breeders on your list, but there are a few of them that are not too far away from Ft Lauderdale. The problem with email is just about anyone can write one and make it sound good. Documents and family trees can be forged, so that leaves meeting the breeder is the only reliable way to get a real sense of the breeder, you'll get to know what kind of environment they were brought up in, how were the temperament of the mother and father. You can also recruit help from our members here, see if they have experience with a certain breeder :)
you are off to a great start. a few other things - other than getting a great pup to start - as he or she can i contact you in the future?, can i contact your vet? do you have any families that you have placed puppies with that i can contact? what do you require of me? my breeder put me thru the "hoops" before i was even allowed to view the pups - i consider this the best form of breeder. She was concerned where her pups were going and what kind of life they would have - i was as much interviewed as she was.
Choosing to contact the regional club is a very good idea. Reputable breeders will have nothing but AKC stock in the corgi world, one or both parents will be finished champions. These breeders will also have tested their dogs. CERF will reveal PRA which is not as common in pems as it is in cardigans. Vwd does not have to be tested in pups if the parents are clear which is typically stated in the paperwork. OFA testing can not be done until a dog is two years of age though the parents should be done. Young pups can be considered as show prospects but one can not truly know until the pup grows on a bit. This is why many breeders elect to keep certain pups much longer. Reputable breeders rarely let their pups go before 10 weeks of age and provide a wonderful packet containing the pedigree (at least 5 generations) pictures of the sire, dam and sometimes grandparents. They will provide a contract which generally has a spay/neuter clause and limited registration. They will offer information regarding puppy care, suggestions for good food and training. The contract will also accept responsibility of the dog should you no longer be able to keep them. You also have the wonderful assurance that you have the support of the breeder for the life of the dog. Good to see someone that has taken the time to learn what to look for in purchasing a pup. Your breeder will help you in making just the right choice in pups. The referral person at the Sunshine Club is a long time friend and my corgi mentor. She has been involved with corgis for near 40 years.
Well I guess this place is just as good as any to ask whether or not any one has heard of these breeders. I'm not sure what the policy is for this forum about naming specific breeders, but the kennels names that I have been in contact with are:

1) Cameo Corgi's
2) Cymric Corgi's
3) McCarty's Corgi's
It's fine Junior, I welcome the discussion. There was another thread a while ago that ask if anyone has heard of a specific breeder as well. If may be beneficial if you start a new thread with the breeders name along with their info like state, phone number...etc. We have a lot of rescue people among our membership as well, they can also offer you their opinion as well.

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service