I'm about to embark to the wonderful world of clicker training and I was curious if anyone has tried it with their corgis, they being a rather, ummm, stubborn breed, but remarkably treat driven.

Just got the clicker today and Ragnar (who will be 12 weeks in 2 days) seems a little afraid of the clicky noise, but is thrilled with the treat (he loves Pounce!). I think he'll get over the fear pretty quickly, and I want to mix up the treats, since I think Pounce are merely chemical conglomerations rather like McNuggets.  Even the cats have gone off them, so I was thinking he might like dehydrated liver.  I'm also interested in clicker training one of the cats and liver will probably do better with her as well. 

Anyway, since corgis are special in their training needs, I wondered if anyone has tried the clicker and what your experiences have been.

Views: 118

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yup, here are some videos. MagnoliaFly and Cheetah train their corgis with clickers.
I haven't tried it; my boy Jack is if anything too sharp in training and I'm afraid the clicker would send him right over the top. I wonder if it would work with Maddie, though, She's a bit, um, slow on the uptake.
My trainer also suggested the clicker. It worked with my whole kindergarten class...but it did not work with Kipper. Kipper is extremely scared of the clicking noise. It's weird because she is usually really brave, and I was surprised she was afraid of it. Anyway, if you're pup doesn't get over the "clicky" noise, what I do instead is replace that "noise" by saying "yes" or "click". It's worked well so far and she responds way better to her commands.
Both my pups are addicted to the clicker. I usually give a treat with the click (not always) but they associate the click to a treat thus.. whenever I even touch the little thing they come running and stand to attention.
I have 2 dogs that we did clicker training with in obedience and I love it! They still are right their and ready to go with the clicker and their treats. I do not use this much anymore but I would highly recommend this! Make sure if your not doing this in a class that you do read up on it!
Thanks everyone. We're still trying to charge the clicker, and I'm switching off the Pounce to freeze dried liver. He seems pretty wild about the liver and he's starting to get over his fear of the click. He just jumps at the sound and then backs off, but I think because he's a pretty bold little dog, he'll just figure out it's not going to hurt him and be fine with it like he's done with the vacuum.

Can't wait to actually start teaching him things to do!
training liver treats are the best! we call it "doggy crack" lol training is the only time they get it and its at your own risk when you take it out hahah.
cheap hot doge cut small work wonderful for this training...

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service