I know all pups leanr at different pace, but I never raised a dog from a puppy. We adopted Tod (RIP) when he was 10 months old and it took 2 days for him to figure out where to go.

I just want a general feel for the time it usually takes for a pup to get it. Our new guy Miles is almost 9 weeks old. I am always watchful of his whereabouts in the house, take him out often, after naps, after meals, and basically anytime I see he's sniffing around. He's been really good about going outside once I get him there. I also get up 3x a night to take him out. He's been with us for almost a week and only had 3 accidents (pee) in the house so far.

Would love to hear your potty training stories of the  2-3 months old corgis. TIA.

Views: 4592

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Most pups that have been properly housebroken (sounds like you're doing things very well) are basically housebroken by 12 wks of age. Most pups can hold it through the night, about 8 or 9 hrs., by 10 wks. (some earlier) and you should not be getting up more than once at night, if needed, or you will create a habit you do not want.  What I recommend with very young puppies is to leave free access to water for one hour after their last meal, so they don't load up on water just before bedtime.  I would not give a pup the run of the house.  No housebroken young pup is beyond making a mistake....

That's VERY helpful, Anna. Thank you.

I would say by ~12 weeks mine were both pretty well housebroken provided they were being monitored closely, but not really reliable on their own until about 16 weeks. I only took mine out once during the night until they were 10 weeks old or so...3 times a night is a bit excessive IMO. He should be able to hold it pretty long while he's sleeping and as Anna said you might end up with a habit you do not want by taking him out so often at night.

Thanks, Jane. Good to know that. I will have some shut eye at night now:)

As far as the last meal of the day, would 8 pm be good (if going to sleep for 10pm)?  I feed his first meal around 6am......

I would give the last meal ( the third) no later than 7PM, with the middle meal somewhere in between. No water past 8PM.  By the time he's around 4 months and sleeping all night, restricting water should no longer be necessary. Still never water available during the night. 

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service