UPDATE: Jake had his surgery on Tuesday the 27th and had a complete tear in the CCL as well as a blown meniscus so it had to be removed. Dr. guarantees us he can get back to his old running days but WILL have arthritis pretty badly in that leg when he is older. Dr. says that therapy will be crucial.

For more on the Tight Rope procedure, see below.

My Pem possibly torn a ligament in his back left leg in January and the vet saw him twice since then and he was on anti-inflammatories awaiting a visit to Ortho on Apr 23rd. Well, we just got back from vacation and boarding him for 6 days where he went to doggie daycare for 4 of those days and rested the other 2.  I got him home, played with him a little in backyard and as he was running for a ball, he collapsed. THE OTHER LEG just gave out and it appears he TORE an ACL or ECL this time. He cannot put ANY pressure on it at all and now is trying to walk on the first bum leg.  Called vet right after it happened. He's on a different antibiotic now awaiting the earliest Ortho appt I could make, Apr 13th. He now has to drag his back end around...but does show slight improvement on the anti-inflammatory. OMG, I've been in tears since Wed when it happened. My poor boy. He's only 2.5 yrs old. Anyone else go through this? What is it like if he needs surgery on both legs? Will he need a wheel chair as he heals? Therapy?

I'm so stressed out and feel it's all my fault for playing ball with him that day. The guilt is killing me.

Jill

http://www.arthrexvetsystems.com/en/mediacenter/clientinformation/u...

Views: 508

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Update on Jake:
Jake will be 7 weeks out on Tuesday and his PT is amazed at how well he is doing. His surgical leg is stronger now than his other leg (which I think I mentioned at 5 weeks). He is now up to two 25 minute walks, zig zags up hills in our neighborhood, dancing him backward on his back legs, 3-4 stairs up and down, and she also told me I can put him on a much longer leash so that he can do some trotting (which he's been doing for a few weeks now). She wants us to really push him to see how that left leg (the original injury) can hold up. She said it was up to me. We could take it easy on him or we could really push him to see if he re-injures the left CCL. She said the CCL will never "heal" but it can be managed. I told her that I want my active dog back. He used to run off-leash in an open field, he ran after Sheba and loved to roll his ball around the yard. I want that dog back. So, she said let's push him and see how he does. If we have to do surgery, I want to do it the week of July 26th.

I bought 5 more sessions of "conditioning" PT, which I includes water therapy (since he has been doing so great with it) and cold laser therapy.

Take care everyone! Thanks so much for all your support! I'll let you know what surgeon says.
Very good news!
Excellent!!!! Keep up the good work Jake!!!
Jake is doing great everyone! His surgical leg is really strong. He is running around the yard like the herder he is. We still monitor him and make him rest more than we used to. He still gets walks everyday.

His non-surgical leg still bothers him from time to time. That was what we think was a partial tear. When it does, we give him a Rimadyl (per the vet's instructions).

Other than that, he is happy. He still can't stand up (to get to our laps) on his back legs but at least he is on no restrictions, can do stairs easily now, can walk, run and play. Mommy is so happy!

I'm sure at some point, he will have to have his left leg done but we are playing the wait and see game. Even the surgeon was thrilled with his outcome!

Thanks everyone for being so supportive! Jill
That's great news!! We're so happy for Jake!

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service