Well day 5 with the new dog is almost over. Truck is doing pretty well so far. I'm learning that he is an incredibly fearful and anxious dog. I'm guessing at 4 years old, this is something I may never be able to fix. I'm hoping through training and exposure I can teach him to be more confident though. Based on his behavior I wouldn't be surprised if somebody told me he was taken outside and beat each night. He flinches and cowers whenever I try to pet him and a lot of his behaviors (such as the fear aggression and space issues) are directly due to the fact that he is so submissive and fearful. The owners claimed he was great in the car, but my 3 hour drive home from my parents house was spent with him cowering, panting, and trembling in fear the ENTIRE. Poor guy. He has so much potential and he is the kind of dog I wish I had when he was MUCH younger. For now I will just need to remind everyone he is a rescue so they don't accuse me of animal abuse when he cowers as they go to pet him. He is fearful of the cats so he hasn't bothered them at all, which is good. He gets his "I'm going to attack you" face when he looks too intently at the cat but it is easy to re-direct him.

As for the separation anxiety, I bought the Tux toy and gave him one of Franklin's other interactive toys and gave them to him in his crate when I left. They kept him busy for about 30 min. I set up a Skype account as a sort of nanny cam so I was able to check in on him throughout the day. If he was barking I could tell him "no" and he would look around confused and then settle in and lay down. I was also able to take him out for a portion of our walk off-leash because there is an area on the river that is totally enclosed except for the trail down to the beach. He did great, we will have to go down there and work everyday off leash because he only 1/2 listens. He stays close, but if he is sniffing he will totally ignore me when I call him. 

So things I have to work on: potty training (still not 100%), fear aggression towards dogs, fear and anxiety in general, off leash training. I feel like I have a puppy again! But most importantly FRANKLIN LOVES HIM!!!

Views: 244

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Well it sounds like a great start.  He will get past some of his issues with time.  Hang in there.  You clearly love him and are committed since you are skyping him right?  Corgi hugs going out to all of you!!!  ^,,^

How great to hear Franklin loves his brother!!  I love the pic you posted of them playing.  How fun to have a skype account to check in on Truck!!  Five days already, time flies, doesn't it?

Hey Melissa, sounds like you are working really hard to get Truck acclimated to his new life. My golden retriever came from a home that really had no business owning a dog, and she was very skittish in the beginning. She still has issues, but she is certainly a much more relaxed dog now. And that was without us being good dog trainers. I think all the effort you are putting in will definitely yield some good results, but you may always need to be alert w/ him. Good job so far, and good luck!

You doing good. Thanks for saving a baby. Post the pictures when you can and it might take some time but hang in there

I'm so happy Franklin likes him! I think you can work out the other issues, and I bet he will get better as time goes on too.

I am so glad they are getting along!  Keep up working with him.  He'll get less fearful as each year goes on, but will never lose some fears.  As he gets more and more comfortable, his real personality will come out--which is SO GREAT to watch!  Steel yourself too for him to do something incredibly bad pretty soon.  About two weeks into the new home, they usually do something out of character (trash, bite, chew).  I think it's the point they realize how great this new home is, and I'm not sure if it's a "lets do something really bad and see if they really love me and are going to keep me" moment, or if its an extreme confusing, let out a bunch of anxiety moment.  With love and patience though, you two will find each other--and the look in their eyes when it happens, is one of the greatest moments in life.

So glad all is working out. As for the cowering and being scared, hopefully over time this will get better. I have puppy mill rescues that will still cower when there are loud noises or commotion going on and this will always be part of them.They have learned that cars are fun:) Considering he has been there such a short time and that Franklin and he are having fun I think you are off to a great start. The worst of your fears(not getting along) sounds like it's in the past and the others are managable. He probably has no idea what "come" or any other words mean and so it will be like a pup. Enjoy!

Love the pic!

So cute to see them having fun! If it helps to know, my Sparty has had a much loved and cushy life but pants and shakes in the car. He has gone on car rides always to many fun places with me since he was a baby but I think the motion upsets him. He is great when we get somewhere and wants to go but the car ride is tough. Bless you for giving him a chance at a great life. If you like to read I highly recommend "Don't Dump The Dog" by Randy Grimm. It is a very funny look at life with rescue dogs. He looks beautiful!

I trust that over time he will overcome at least some, if not all, of his anxieties.  He is absolutely beautiful, and I'm happy that you and Frankllin have a new friend to add to your pack! 

Love the picture of them playing!   As he gains confidence in his new place you may see some of the behaviors diminish on their own.   Madison was very well-socialized when we got her, but she's quite submissive and since she seems to rarely make a decision on anything on her own (she mostly follows Jack's lead) it took her awhile to relax.  For the first few days she would walk ages before she would even potty. 

She does not cower, but she does put her ears back and lower her head whenever you look at her sideways.  She pins her ears back submissively and waggles like crazy in greeting, she plasters back her ears submissively when you try to put a collar on her, etc.   She seems to spend a fair amount of energy communicating the fact that she recognizes she is low gal on the totem pole and does not mean to alarm anyone.   I think that for submissive dogs, transitions can be a little more difficult than for bold dogs and the fear responses you see to contact may be fear, but may also be very exaggerated submission gestures. 

Thanks for the input guys! The owner called me today, she has somebody else interested in him so I am probably going to have to do a friendly dog trial sooner than I had originally planned. He is doing so well already I am hoping that if I have him meet a mellow friendly dog it will work out. I'm kind of bummed she is pushing for an answer now when I asked for a month but I understand where she is coming from. 

Melissa, he is beautiful! 

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service