Seanna got out of surgery today about 11:30. The vet said she did great. He said her cruciate ligament was completely torn, but the meniscus was OK. They keep them on a morphine/lidocaine/ketamine drip today/tonight, and get her up this evening to walk. She's going to be alone tonight from midnight to 5am, but they take them to the 24 hour emergency clinic overnight if they have any doubts that they're not doing well. He said she can come home tomorrow morning at 9am. We have to meet with him again then, and go over follow-up appointments and the rehab schedule. I'm so glad that she made it through OK--but I'm not looking forward to seeing her so painful tomorrow.

Views: 53

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'm glad she came through the surgery well! Please keep us posted. It's hard to see them in pain, but the upside to that is the discomfort keeps them from overdoing it, at least in the beginning. Good luck!
I'm so happy to hear that Sienna can start putting this behind her now. I don't know what kind of rehab you will be doing, but I love what Sky is getting. He does hydrotherapy, magnetic bed, low level laser treatment, massage, and regular PT exercises. They have been great for him! It's been expensive ($38/visit and we go twice a week) but the vet says he's recovering fast and will probably be able go return to agility eventually.

Good luck with your recovering baby and keep us up to date!
Good luck, we will be pulling for her!
Glad you had it done. Be sure to follow the vet's instructions. There is a site called orthodogs on yahoo where lots of the dogs have had ACL surgery. They have good ideas for help if you have questions. They have a list of things you want to do before you bring her home like put down non skid rugs and get a recovery area set up that limits her activity.
So glad it went so well! Good luck and keep us updated on her progress! We'll keep you in our thoughts!

Got Seanna home about an hour ago. Surgery went very well--he said he put in two 40 pound monofilament lines. They usually just put in one, but since she's an active dog he said he did two as added assurance. And in true corgi fashion, she ate her breakfast which he said is unusual for a dog that has this surgery! She's toe touching briefly, but not really putting any weight on it--that may take up to two weeks. We do meds, heat/PT/ice three times a day for the next two weeks, and he highly encouraged the hydrotherapy--so I'm going to call them later today and get her set up for an appointment. She's sleeping now, not sure if it's the pain meds or just being tired from all the stress. Plus she has lots of healing to do! Her poor little leg is so swollen-- Thank you so much for all of your support! We will keep you informed as she progresses!
That's such a sad picture (but also happy that she is home and on the road to recovery now). I hope she does well and has a speedy recovery!
It is also a joyful picture: it shows at a glance all the love and commitment and high-tech effort that has gone into this relationship between canine and human.
Be well little Seanna!
Seanna's much better today. She is still uncomfortable, but all the anesthesia is out of her system, and she is much perkier. Her leg is much less swollen, and has more range of motion. She's back to trying to boss us around! Last night was rough--she hates the e-collar, and whines constantly when it's on. I might buy the pillow one today. We didn't get much sleep. We ended up putting her back in the puppy pen and my daughter slept on the couch in the living room with her. Problem with corgi's is they are so vocal when they're not happy!
Corgis vocal when not happy? That may be the understatement of the year! Hope her recovery goes smoothly. Is she more used to the collar yet?
Speedy recovery!

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service